It wasn’t until late afternoon that day that hikers came across her n*ked body in Left Hand Canyon and called the police.

Evidence suggested that Carol had been murdered – perhaps at the scene where she was discovered strangling from behind with a killer.

It was a vehement case that haunted authorities; they could find no clues as to who would murder such a young, promising woman in such an insidious manner.

Who killed Carol Murphy?

Despite initial questioning of Curtis and William, both of whom were later disqualified, the police did not uncover much evidence at the crime scene, leaving them stunned.

However, they eventually stumbled upon some new clues, including the fact that Carol had left her office on May 22, 1987, but her car had been left behind and that she had left with someone on a motorcycle.

After investigating, the police discovered that Carol’s ex-husband, Kevin Elmarr, was the only person in her life who owned a bicycle.

Carol had fled as a teenager to live with Kevin, and they had two children together before divorcing due to Carol’s infidelity.

Despite this, they continued to live together for financial reasons, and Kevin later married Carol’s girlfriend Norma, who was present when Carol was killed.

During the investigation, Kevin admitted that he had seen Carol on May 22 and received a birthday card from her. In addition, authorities learned that Carol had informed them of plans to travel to the mountains for sexual activity with her ex-husband and a colleague.

Where is the killer Kevin Elmarr now?

Kevin Elmarr was sentenced to life in prison by District Judge Maria Berkenkotter after being found guilty of first-degree murder for the 1987 murder of his ex-wife, Carol Murphy, by a Boulder County jury.

In a courtroom largely filled with staff and lawyers, Elmarr hung his head when the verdict was announced on Friday. Some family members of both Murphy and Elmarr were also present.

In a joint statement, Chief Trial Deputy Adrian Van Nice and Chief Deputy District Attorney Ken Kupfner expressed their satisfaction in assisting the family in solving the case.

They recognized that the victims of this tragedy would never fully recover and praised the jury’s work.

Speaking on behalf of the family and friends, Carol’s younger sister, Cahnya Parker, expressed her gratitude for the guilty verdict and thanked everyone who participated in the trial.

Parker described Carol as a wonderful, fun-loving and loving woman who was taken from them, and they were glad they closed.

Elmarr, 58, remained silent during his sentencing and his attorney, Nicole Collins, declined to comment afterwards.

Van Nice stated that Elmarr would be eligible for parole after 40 years since the murder occurred before a state law was passed requiring life without parole for first-degree murder convictions.

Elmarr gets credit for the approximately 3,200 days he spent in detention for trial. The jury deliberated for nearly eight hours after five and a half days of testimony from multiple witnesses.