Fernando Alonso is a Spanish racing driver who is best known as a two-time world champion in the Formula 1 drivers’ championship and is considered one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula 1. With 54 points, he lies in 10th place.
Alonso currently works for the British Formula 1 team McLaren-Honda, where he is working very hard for his third title.
Read on to find out more about the respected Formula 1 driver.
Fernando Alonso – Biography
Fernando Alonso is the son of Ana Díaz, a worker in a department store, and José Luis Alonso, an amateur cart racer and mechanic in an explosives factory in Oviedo. He was born on 29 July 1981 in Oviedo, Asturias in northern Spain.
The professional racing driver has Spanish nationality and belongs to the white ethnic group. He has an older sister named Lorena Alonso Diaz. She is three years older than Fernando and a doctor by profession. He attended the Holy Guardian Angel Primary School in Oviedo, from where he went to the Leopoldo Alas Clarín Institute of San Lazaro for further training. However, he dropped out of school to concentrate on his motorsport career.
Alonso owes his flourishing racing career to his father. According to reports, his father, an amateur kart racer, had wanted to pass on his passion for karting to his children. This led him to build a kart for his daughter Lorena, who was eight years old at the time. But Lorena showed no interest in this sport. Luckily for him, Fernando developed an interest in karting at the age of 3, and this is how his love for racing began.
After mastering the different varieties of karting at a young age, Fernando won his first Spanish Junior Karting Championship at the age of 12 and kept it for the next three years.
Alonso was introduced to motor racing by Adrian Campos in October 1998. After a brilliant performance, he was entered in the Spanish Euro Open Movistar of Nissan series in 1999. He later won the championship by a single point and in 2000 he took part in Formula 3000 for “Astromega”, becoming the youngest driver to take part in this competition. He would win the last race in Belgium and take fourth place in the championship.
His career with Minardi began in 2001 at the Australian Grand Prix, where he made history as the third-youngest driver to start a Formula 1 race. The following year he became a test driver for Renault in 2002. On 24 August 2003 Alonso won a Formula 1 race at the Hungarian Grand Prix, making him the youngest driver to achieve this feat, despite the record being broken by Sebastian Vettel in 2008.
He also won the San Marino Grand Prix in 2005 and in the same year won his first Formula 1 drivers’ championship, ending Michael Schumacher’s five-year dominance.
Alonso became the youngest double champion in 2006 when he won his second “Formula 1 Drivers Championship” after a tough challenge from Michael Schumacher.
His time with Ferrari began in 2010 and ended in 2014, leading to his return to McLaren in 2015. He currently drives for the F1 team McLaren-Renault.
Is Fernando Alonso Married? – Wife
The respected racing driver is divorced. He was once married to the Spanish singer Raquel del Rosario. Like Alonso, Raquel del Rosario is also a celebrity in her field. She is the lead singer of the Spanish pop-rock band El Sueño de Morfeo. They were married on 17 November 2006 and previously lived in Oxford, from where they moved to Mont-sur-Rolle in Switzerland. From Mont-sur-Rolle, Fernando and Raquel moved to Lugano in 2010 to be near Alonso’s employer, Ferrari.
The racing driver and his pop star wife announced their intention to separate on December 20, 2011, after five years as husband and wife. Their union did not produce a child. After their divorce, Raquel married Pedro Castro, a filmmaker and Galician photographer whom she met while directing the video for her band Si no estás. Castro and Raquel married in 2013 and welcomed their first child in 2014.
Fernando Alonso has been involved in various relationships in the past. His first known girlfriend is the Russian model Dasha Kapustina. The duo started their relationship in July 2012, one year after he had given up the relationship with De Rosario. However, Alonso’s relationship with the Vladivostok-born star lasted only one year. For reasons best known to them, they went their separate ways in 2014.
The racing driver also had a short-lived romantic relationship with the renowned Spanish journalist Lara Álvarez. The two lovebirds had been meeting since early 2015 and separated in 2016, and Lara confirmed her separation herself when she performed publicly sometime in March 2016 without her sparkling engagement ring.
Fernando is currently friends with Linda Morselli, an Italian fashion model and ex-girlfriend of nine-time world champion road racer Valentino Rossi.
Linda is the winner of Miss Elegance in the Miss Italy beauty pageant in 2006. Her relationship with Alonso began in 2017 and the two seem madly in love with each other.
Salary – How Much Does He Earn?
Fernando Alonso earns an impressive $40 million a year, making him one of the highest-paid racers of our time. His fortune is estimated at 220 million dollars. It is widely believed that Alonso has built his striking net worth from his contracts with mega racing companies, his sponsorship contracts, his salary, and his numerous race wins.
Quick Facts about the Racing Driver
1. Fernando Alonso is multilingual. He speaks French, English, Italian, and Spanish.
2. The racing driver lives in Dubai.
3. He has a samurai tattoo on his back and neck, which he showed for the first time in 2012. Talking to reporters at the time, he revealed that the tattoo is a reminder of who he is, where he comes from, and what power he possesses.
4. Besides racing, Fernando also loves football. His favorite teams are the Madrid professional football club Real Madrid and the Spanish club Real Oviedo, based in Oviedo.
5. When he won his first championship in 2005, Alonso was appointed ambassador of the University of Oxford to promote the study of motorsport in the economic and social sciences.
6. His sun sign is Asturias.
7. In addition to racing, Alonso has a passion for cycling. He plans to lead a cycling team one day.
8. Alonso is also called El Nano, which is a typical pseudonym for the name “Fernando” in Asturias.
9. The racing cyclist is also a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.
10. Fernando is the only Spanish driver to have won in Formula 1 from March 2018.
11. In 2005, he was awarded the “Prince of Asturias Prize for Sport” by the Princess of Asturias Foundation for his achievements in public affairs, science, and humanity.
12. His car number is 12.
13. during his career Alonso has made 296 entries with 294 stars.
14. he has achieved 32 victories, 1,871 career points, 22 pole positions, and 23 fastest laps under his name
15. Alonso is said to have received 39,000,000 US dollars from McLaren in 2007. On 15 January 2007, he made his debut for the team in his new McLaren car on the streets of Valencia.