The case of Kathryn Grant’s suicide has recently come to the public eye after it was discovered that she had murdered her newborn baby 27 years ago.

The baby, dubbed “Jonathan Foundling” by police officials, was found dead in a bathroom in the basement of Oglethorpe House in 1996.

The funeral of the baby, who weighed 8 pounds, was attended by about 200 people.

The case went unsolved for 25 years until detectives used DNA genealogy testing to solve it in March 2021. It was discovered that Kathryn had given birth to the baby boy and stabbed him to death.

Kathryn Anne Grant was a UGA student living at Oglethorpe House at the time of the murder. There are no documents to suggest that Grant was questioned about the baby’s death during the initial investigation.

In June 2021, UGA detectives delivered blood samples from the baby and mother’s placenta to a Texas lab.

The lab reported in September 2021 that it found two people who may have been related to the victim, and one of them was likely the father.

Both men were identified and committed to being registered with UGA at the time of the murder. The agents then obtained a search warrant to obtain their DNA.

On December 14, 2022, the man believed to be the father of the deceased newborn was interviewed and confirmed that he had a sexual relationship with a woman named Grant, whom he only remembered by her last name.

The detectives searched for a student named Grant and discovered that Kathryn had been staying in room 301 of Oglethorpe House at the time of the murder.

However, it was reported that they also found Kathryn Grant’s obituary which revealed that she died in 2004 in Wilkes County.

The detectives searched Grant’s campus records and found that her grades began to drop when she became pregnant and gave birth to the baby.

UGA reported that the baby boy was Grant’s; it was made clear that her mental health was not doing well at the time of her death.

Kathryn committed suicide in Wilkes County in 2004 at the age of 29, eight years after she killed her child.

The case was closed after detectives identified the woman who allegedly gave birth to the baby.

UGA police released documents to Athens Banner-Herald as part of a disclosure request, which revealed they had recently closed the case.